Tobacco Free Parks and Beaches
Michigan Recreation and Park Association (mParks) seeks to provide recreation and community leadership in the development, adoption, implementation, enforcement and evaluation of a tobacco free policy for Michigan parks and beaches.
WHY ADOPT TOBACCO-FREE POLICIES?
- Tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable death and disease in the U.S., killing close to half a million people each year American Lung Association
- Promotes individual and community health and wellness
- Protection from secondhand smoke exposure
- Children, families, young people, pregnant women, older persons, persons with special health needs, and workers
- Protection from tobacco-related litter
- Lowers park maintenance costs
- Models healthy behavior
- Demonstrating a tobacco-free community norm allows less children to adopt unhealthy behaviors
- Prevents outdoor fires
- Promotes clean water
- Concurs with Pure Michigan campaign promoting tourism
mParks Tobacco Free Guide