This program is designed for elected and appointed municipal leaders including mayors, city manager and board & commission members. There is no fee for them to attend, but registration is required. If you are a municipal park and recreation professional, please register for the 2020 mParks Conference & Trade Show at www.mParks.org/Conference.
mParks will monitor incoming registrations and reserves the right to cancel any that do not fit the requirements.
8:30 am – 9:45 am
Tips, Tricks and Relationships for Grant Success
A round table of professionals from around Michigan focusing on recent and long term success with grant writing through State of Michigan Programs and private foundations. Will cover ins and outs of different grants, building relationships with the grant funders, and challenges with acquisition projects.
- Ken Elwert – Director, Rochester Hills Parks and Natural Resources
- Jeff Muck – Director, Novi Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services
- Mindy Milos-Dale - Director, Oakland Township Parks & Recreation
9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Trade Show Break
Connect with fellow Conference attendees and speakers and explore the 2020 Trade Show. The mParks Trade Show is the premier place to find the latest and greatest products and trends in parks and recreation. Meet with vendors to learn ways to take your facilities, programming and events to the next level. Coffee and refreshments will be served.
11:15 am – 12:30 pm
FUNDING AND PLANNING PARKS FOR THE FUTURE
This session will be focused on collaborative efforts across the state related to funding and marketing of local and state parks. Attendees will hear from a variety of presenters with topics including status of the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund, potential state ballot proposals related to parks funding, SEMCOG's Southeast Michigan's ParkFinder application and being an advocate in your community.
- Dan Lord - Grants Manager, Michigan DNR
- Tyler Klifman - Economic And Community Vitality, SEMCOG
- Richard Bowman - Director of Working Lands, The Nature Conservancy
- Jonathan Jarosz - Executive Director, Heart of the Lakes
12 : 30 PM - 2:00 PM
Trade Show Lunch
The mParks Trade Show is the premier place to find the latest and greatest products and trends in parks and recreation. Meet with Vendors to learn ways to take your facilities, programming and events to the next level. Enjoy lunch at one of four food trucks! Registrants are provided a $10 food voucher with the option to make additional cash purchases.
Food Trucks Include:
- Brother Truckers
- D & W’s Street Eatery
- Salt & Sugar
- Simply Spanish
2:15 pm – 3:30 pm
PARKS VALUE FROM THE PRIVATE SECTOR PERSPECTIVE
Parks and public spaces can have a significant impact on how private businesses make long term decisions on their future. Learn how the newly created Michigan Office of Outdoor Recreation Industry plans to impact and advocate for parks and recreation. A round table of representatives from SE Michigan corporations will discuss the impact public spaces have on their businesses and employees and how municipalities can plan for future parks usage from a private business perspective.
- Jason Zogg - Co-Founder & Urban Design Lead, City Innovations, Ford Mobility
- Harvey "Chip" Amoe III, J.D., M.P.A. -Director of Sustainability, Henry Ford Health System
- Brian Nuno - Marketing Program Manager, DTE Energy
- Suzanne Allen Miller - Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan /Office of Outdoor Recreation Industry
- Tino Breithaupt - Senior Corporate Relations Executive, Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Gary R. Kirsh - Maintenance Permitting Specialist, ITC
3:45 pm – 5:00 pm
Age Friendly Communities
There is an unprecedented change happening to the demographics in America. 10,000 people turn 65 every day. New reports show that Michigan is aging faster than just about all other states. This workshop will explore what this changing demographic means to communities, organizations in communities and any other entity that provides programming or services within the community.
- Karen Kafantaris - Associate State Director, AARP